Full-Time and Part-Time Customer Service Representative
We at Seattle Monorail Services (SMS) are a small team dedicated to each other and to our mission of stewarding the iconic Seattle Monorail, and through that, delivering unparalleled service to passengers; outstanding value to passengers, partners, and the City of Seattle. We are energetic, hard-working, effective, efficient, and team players. We focus on mutual respect and results, not rank or process. We enjoy ourselves and what we do – we work for the Monorail.
We are beginning major construction work to renovate Seattle Center Monorail train stations and improve our passenger experience in advance of Climate Pledge Arena opening this fall. The Monorail will be in service throughout construction, and when construction concludes this fall, the Monorail system will play a significant role in providing fast, direct transportation to and from events at Seattle Center. We are hiring Customer Service Representatives who will work hard to ensure passengers continue to have a positive experience on the Monorail throughout one of the Monorail’s most exciting transformation since 1962! We are currently conducting interviews and would like to have our new employees begin training between April 12-19.
Who are you: An enthusiastic lover of transportation, events and people. You have a true passion for engaging in meaningful interactions and creating memorable experiences for all guests. You strive to be helpful, engaging and knowledgeable of all things Monorail and Seattle Center related. Customer Service Representatives know that first impressions are everything. One must provide friendly, responsive service to create an exceptional experience for all our customers riding the iconic Monorail. Lastly, you enjoy working hard and in a team environment.
Shifts are typically 7-9 hours in length. The Monorail is open 7 days per week, 363 days per year. We are looking for employees who are flexible and able to work weekdays and weekends. Currently, shifts typically fall between 10am-7pm, however we will be extending hours of operation as the year progresses and shifts will be scheduled in the evenings. We believe in work-life balance and work hard to ensure our employees have two consecutive days off in a row; we also produce employees schedules at least one month in advance.
Compensation and Benefits: Hourly rate is $17.25/hour. We have full-time (35-40 hours per week) and part-time (15-24 hours per week) available. Seattle Monorail Services offers medical insurance to all employees who work a minimum of 25 hours per week, and paid time off.
SMS provides educational assistance for all permanent employees beyond their new-hire probation period (90 days) through our book and tuition reimbursement programs.
- Welcome guests and answer general questions about Seattle Center Monorail
- Remain knowledgeable about operating hours and ticket prices
- Provide superior customer service
- Comfortable following company social-distancing and PPE requirements (including wearing a mask for entire shift)
- Provide general Seattle tourism information to guests
- Assist with troubleshooting of ticket kiosks and crowd control on our platform
- From May through September, this role would involve processing transactions through our point of sale system to sell Monorail tickets to passengers; we will provide plenty of hands-on training for this
- Pass a pre-employment drug screening; SMS is a drug-free company, and this is a safety sensitive position. Random drug screenings will occur throughout employment.
- Complete on-site and online trainings for safety
- Complete First Aid and CPR certification – company provides training
Education, Experience, And Skills Required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent; higher education preferred
- Previous experience working with customers and working with a team. Proven excellent customer service skills
- Outgoing, friendly disposition and a team player; you’re always willing to give and ask for help
- Welcoming personality and enthusiasm interacting with a diverse population
- Strong communication skills, comfort with guest interaction and large crowds
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Flexible schedule and ability to work late hours, weekends and holidays. Must have availability to work 80% of scheduled events monthly
- Ability to effectively communicate using the English language. Representatives will be communicating with customers and co-workers both in-person and using our radio communications system
- Effective problem-solving techniques and troubleshooting capabilities
- General computer literacy
- Ability to lift 25 pounds, use manual dexterity for entire shift, stand for long periods, and work in confined space
Seattle Monorail Services is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. All employees must pass a pre-employment drug screening and are subject to random drug screenings during employment. All applicants are subject to a reference and background check.
About Seattle Monorail:
The historic Seattle Center Monorail connects the Downtown retail core (above Sound Transit Link Light Rail’s Westlake Station) to Seattle Center. The two trains carry over 2.2 million passengers annually and are especially loved by kids and families. Best of all, the Monorail is a fun place to work.
Seattle Monorail Services is a local, family-owned company that has been operating the Monorail for the City of Seattle since 1994. We are a great and diverse team. We take pride in each other’s achievements and our collective stewardship of this Northwest icon.
Email your resume to [email protected]