Saturday, May 19, 2012 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Seattle Center Next 50 Pavilion (between the Armory/Center House and EMP Museum, adjacent to the Monorail platform).
There are so many different ways to travel to Seattle Center and around the city – everything from conventional and electric vehicles, Monorail, bicycle, scooter, light rail, street car, bus, pedicabs and more! The choice you make affects your health, our ecology and the future of transportation. Come play, talk and learn about our shared future and explore the connections among the transportation, ecology, economy and community of the Pacific Northwest at Next 50 Mobility Day this Saturday, May 19th.
Here’s a list of the day’s offerings, all in the Activity Tent of Next 50 Plaza unless stated differently:
- Tour the Monorail at 12 and 1 p.m. – space is limited, a sign up sheet will be available in the Activity Tent at 11 a.m.
- Color Monorail coloring sheets from The Official Century 21 Coloring Book created for the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair – available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Join the Children’s Museum and build modes of transportation Lego® kits! From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. they will have special Lego® kits of all things that fly, drive, float and move! Families can stop by the table in the lobby to build together.
- Come check out the electric vehicle showcase – it features many forms of electrically powered vehicles and demonstrations of the charging infrastructure unfolding across our city, region and state.
- Meet with Zap Gridlock, Sound Transit’s superhero mascot and Rapid Ride Man, Metro’s mascot
- Write a transportation Haiku
- Learn about the future of Sound Transit’s Link Light Rail
- Visit the Sustainable Futures exhibit
- Come see an incredible performance by Stokley Towles in Stormwater: Life in the Gutter. The one-man performance is written and performed by Stokley Towles; it reveals the world of urban rainfall and traces its travel from the clouds to the city’s streets, homes businesses and the sewer lines below. The performance takes place May 19, 1 p.m. at SPU Trailer in Next 50 Plaza.
We hope you’re able to join us – please consider walking, riding the Monorail or the bus or biking to the event.
Come meet Sound Transit's Zap Gridlock!
Monorail Coloring Sheet
Making 'Happy Birthday' cards for the Monorail Trains
Touring the Seattle Monorail Maintenance Facility