New Seattle Center Monorail rates are proposed to go into effect on July 1, 2022, and January 1, 2023.
The proposed increases affect adult fares in 2022 and adult, youth, and reduced fares in 2023.
Here are the details on the proposed two-phase fare increases:
- Adult, ages 19-64, one-way, currently $3.00, increases to $3.25 one-way adult, effective July 1, 2022. Adult one-way fare increases to $3.50 one-way effective January 1, 2023.
- Youth, ages 6-18, one-way, currently $1.50, increases to $1.75 one-way, effective January 1, 2023.
- Reduced rate one-way, currently $1.50, increases to $1.75 one-way, effective January 1, 2023.
- Adult monthly pass, non-ORCA, currently $60, increases to $65, effective July 1, 2022. Adult monthly pass, non-ORCA, increases to $70, effective January 1, 2023.
- Reduced monthly pass, non-ORCA, currently $30, increases to $35. Effective January 1, 2023
Fares are increasing to keep up with rising costs and our commitment to preserving this historic system. Passengers purchase monorail tickets using the ticket vending machines located at both Seattle Center and Westlake Monorail Stations.
Additionally, since 2019, passengers can use an ORCA card as fare payment on Seattle Center Monorail. Seattle Center Monorail offers a 50% discount on fares for income-eligible residents through the ORCA LIFT Program. Seattle Center Monorail also participates in the ORCA subsidized annual pass program which provides fully subsidized transportation for people who qualify.
Public Comment Opportunities
The public may comment on the proposed fare increases via email: [email protected] or by phone: 206-615-0258 through Monday, June 27. 2022.
Comments will also be accepted at a Public Meeting online via Webex on Wednesday, June 22, 2022 4:30 pm | (UTC-07:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
- Join link: https://seattle.webex.com/seattle/j.php?MTID=m277b4b88ce436c3a58e55625456fb58c
- Join by phone: +1-206-207-1700 United States Toll (Seattle), +1-408-418-9388 United States Toll
- Webinar number/Access Code: 2496 323 6006, Webinar password: MJgmDYJm243 (65463956 from phones)
About Seattle Center Monorail
Built for the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair, Seattle Center Monorail travels directly between Seattle Center and Westlake Center (5th Avenue and Pine Street). During normal operating service, the train departs approximately every 10 minutes, and during peak operating service, the trains depart approximately every 5 minutes. Each train can carry up to 250 passengers per trip. The system has undergone significant renovations over the past 15 years to ensure its continued operation well into the 21st century.
Seattle Center Monorail is the nation’s first full-scale commercial monorail system providing a fun, quick and convenient link between downtown Seattle and Seattle Center. The current hours of operation are: Monday through Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. During the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day, hours will be extended to 11 p.m. daily.
Seattle Center Monorail is operated by a private concessionaire, Seattle Monorail Services, for the City of Seattle.
About Seattle Center
Seattle Center is celebrating 60 years with all that is “New, Now, and Next” as Seattle’s hub for arts, sports, community events, and cultural festivals. Originally built for the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair, the dynamic 74-acre campus has transformed over the years to respond to, reflect, and represent the region’s ever-broadening community. Seattle Center and its iconic International Fountain are often referred to as the “Heart of Seattle,” serving as a treasured community gathering place where the local, regional, national, and international visitors come together every day. Today more than 30 cultural, educational, sports and entertainment organizations reside on the grounds, along with a diverse variety of public programs and thousands of events attracting more than 12 million visitors each year. At Seattle Center, part of Uptown Arts & Cultural District and home to Climate Pledge Arena, our purpose is to create exceptional events, experiences, and environments that delight and inspire the human spirit to build stronger communities. Activities at the Center generate $1.864 billion in business activity and $631 million in labor income. Seattle Center extends special thanks to its Official Seattle Center Sponsors – Alaska Airlines, The Climate Pledge, Coors Light, Pepsi, Premera, Symetra, T-Mobile, and WaFd Bank.