JOB TITLE: Monorail Driver
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
Seattle Monorail is hiring a part-time monorail driver. This would be approximately 1-3 shifts per week. This position has the possibility of becoming a full-time position as more driver hours become available, or can become full-time if the candidate is willing to do a combination of driving and cashiering shifts. We offer tuition assistance, medical insurance (must work a minimum of 28 hours per week to be eligible for medical benefits), paid time off, and a fun work environment.
- Operate the Monorail in a safe and professional manner while meeting on-time performance requirements.
- Starting up and closing down train operations.
- Reporting mechanical and electrical deficiencies.
- Communicating operational status of the system with maintenance and operations staff.
- Cleaning or coordinating with janitorial to maintain a sanitary, tidy train, and station.
- Restricting or assisting in the removal of intoxicated or unruly passengers from the Monorail.
- Assisting Operations Supervisor and Seattle Monorail Services during an emergency.
- Communicating with Operations, police, and security personnel for the purpose of maintaining safety and security.
- Responding to and controlling emergency situations.
- Perform any other duties that are required by the Operations Supervisor or Manager.
- Collecting and turning in lost and found items.
- Give direction and suggestions to customers appropriately.
- Knowing and implementing Seattle Monorail Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and emergency procedures.
- Administer First Aid or CPR if needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to proficiently read, write, and speak English.
- Strong verbal, organizational, and, interpersonal skills.
- Professional, courteous, and polite manner.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and timeliness in spite of frequent interruptions.
- Ability to recognize and set priorities.
- Must have the ability to think and act well under pressure or stress.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and comply with Federal DOT standard.
- SMS provides employees with First Aid and CPR certification class. Employee must keep current on certification.
- Must obtain a Seattle Monorail Driver Certification (SMS provides training and testing for Monorail Driver Certification).
- A clean driving record with no violations in the last three (3) years for: a suspended license for moving violations, reckless or negligent driving, DUI (driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs), hit-and-run incidents, vehicular homicide or vehicular assault, or more than one “at fault” accidents. Driving abstract will be request. Driving record can be purchased online.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must comply with City of Seattle and federal non-discrimination policies (Title VI) in regard to race, color, creed, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and other protected groups.
Starting rate is $17.00 per hour plus benefits. SMS provides and requires 60 hours of training before an applicant can test to become a certified Monorail driver.
Seattle Monorail Services is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. All employees must pass a pre-employment drug screening and are subject to random drug screenings during employment. All applicants are subject to a reference and background check.
ABOUT SEATTLE MONORAIL
The historic Seattle Monorail connects the Downtown retail core (above the Sound Transit’s Westlake Station) to Seattle Center. The two trains carry over 2 million passengers annually and are especially loved by kids and families. Best of all, the Monorail is a fun place to work.
Seattle Monorail Services is a local, family-owned company that has been operating the Monorail for the City of Seattle since 1994. We are a great and diverse team. We take pride in each other’s achievements and our collective stewardship of this Northwest icon.
We are a team that takes care of each other. We help both full- and part-time employees pay for college after being with us for just 90 days, through textbook reimbursement and tuition assistance. Every employee earns paid time off and is eligible to participate in our retirement plan. Company health insurance is available to all employees working more than 28 hours per week.
To apply, please complete the online job application below and attach your cover letter and resume (PDF or Word Doc format).