JOB TITLE: Janitor
REPORTS TO: Operations Supervisor
Seattle Monorail Services (SMS) is hiring a full-time janitor. This person will report directly to the Operations Supervisor. Janitorial shifts are available from 6:00am-2:00pm daily (including weekends). A full-time janitor is expected to work 5 days per week. Training will be provided on-site.
Wage: $15.00 per hour, plus benefits
ABOUT SEATTLE MONORAIL
The historic Seattle Monorail connects the Downtown retail core (above the Sound Transit’s Westlake Station) to the base of the Space Needle at Seattle Center. The iconic trains carry over two million passengers annually – and are especially loved by kids and families. Best of all, the Monorail is a fun place to work.
Seattle Monorail Services (SMS) is a local family-owned company that has been operating the Monorail for the City of Seattle since 1994. We are a great and diverse team. We take pride in each other’s achievements and our collective stewardship of this Northwest icon.
1. Cleaning both Monorail Stations (Seattle Center and Westlake Center) – sweeping, mobbing, and using a leaf blower. Monthly pressure washing of the platform.
2. Clean exterior and interior of Monorail trains. To include sweeping, mopping, wiping down, spot cleaning windows, floors, seats, exterior/interior car body, doors, fan vents, and control panels.
3. Clean restrooms and restock paper supplies.
4. Thoroughly clean and dust furniture, exterior/interior of tickets booths, glass surfaces, platform ledges, and trash containers.
5. Clean all Monorail signage and decorative materials.
6. Clean and polish stainless steel on platform, railings, and ramp railings.
7. Pick up trash, empty trash containers, and replace liners. Remove trash from premises.
8. Remove minor graffiti, stickers, and similar materials from premises.
9. Clean SMS administrative office including dusting, vacuuming, restrooms, garbage removal, and other spot cleaning as needed.
10. Sweep maintenance shop floors, other activities as directed.
11. Maintain janitorial storage and supplies area in a neat, orderly fashion.
12. Communicate with operations team when cleaning has been completed. All cleaning is subject to daily audit.
1. Understanding and complying with SMS standard operating procedures and emergency procedures.
2. Assisting operations team as necessary, including during emergency situations.
3. Communicating maintenance status of stations and trains to operations staff.
4. Restock booths with marketing/informational materials.
5. Respond to requests for immediate clean up in stations or on train.
6. Assist SMS Management as necessary.
7. Potential to cross-train as a cashier
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Must be able to proficiently read, write, and speak English.
3. Strong verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
4. Professional, courteous, and polite manner.
5. Working knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and supplies.
6. Ability to prioritize and accomplish duties with minimal or no supervision.
7. Ability to follow through on assigned tasks with spite of frequent interruptions.
8. Must have the ability to think and act well under pressure or stress.
9. Must obtain and keep current First Aid and CPR card – SMS will provide training
10. Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Seattle Monorail Services is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. All employees must pass a pre-employment drug screening and are subject to random drug screenings during employment. All applicants are subject to a reference and background check.
We are a team that takes care of each other. We help both full- and part-time employees pay for college after being with us for just 90 days, through textbook reimbursement and tuition assistance. Every employee earns paid time off and is eligible to participate in our retirement plan. Company health insurance is available to all employees working more than 28 hours per week.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume (PDF or Word Doc format) to firstname.lastname@example.org.